Monday, April 25, 2011

the USA

I don't want to brag, but I'm a fantastic orange peeler (well, I actually do want to brag). I'm currently sitting on the green leather sofa in my parents' living room, eating the orange that I just peeled (yes, the peel is in one piece), and trying to recuperate after doing one too many physical activities today (this is what I tend to do when I have ample free time. Today, I went for a run, played softball with my old high school team, and went to a Pilates class with my mom).

My initial trip itinerary did not include this jaunt to the midwest (instead, I cleverly planned to arrive back in Boston on the 21st and then immediately head south for a week, therefore prolonging the return to the cold as long as possible), but when I found out my good friend Ryan was diagnosed with cancer I rerouted through Chicago and opted for 10 days of glorious midwest spring weather (clouds, rain, cold) rather than the measly 70's and sunny I would have experienced in South Carolina (all jokes aside, the decision was totally worth it).

It's ok, I got some good warm and sunny time in Southern California... you can see my pictures from that trip and from my 14 hour lay-over in Bangkok, Thailand here. It was wonderful spending a few days with my brother and sister-in-law. I don't get to see them nearly enough.

It's strange being back in North Muskegon, MI. Running through the neighborhood I saw lots of houses whose inhabitants I once knew. I worked out a little with my former softball team (same coach, but I only knew one of the girls - his daughter) and at one point one of the girls looked at me and went, "who are you?" Ha. Well, small child, I played on this team... 9 years ago. Still, I'm thankful for the down time to readjust to Eastern Standard Time before jumping back in to camp prep with both feet next week.

I'll work on putting some more thoughts about my trip up soon. For now... hope you're happy, Ben... I updated.

1 comment:

M. said...

Your orange peeling skills are formidable. Come teach me your ways. I'll be the Karate Kid to your Mr. Myagi.