Tuesday, April 12, 2011

India got me

I made it 2.5 weeks into my time in India before getting sick (something that I was pretty sure was going to happen to me right away - I was under the impression that everyone gets sick in India)... but something I ate this weekend was more alive than intended, and I spent the entirety of yesterday paying some serious consequences for it (and will probably continue to pay for it a bit over the next few days). Thankfully, I'm staying with some fantastic girls who are taking good care of me, and I'm feeling well enough (kept a package of crackers, some juice, AND my antibiotic down today) to head in to the home this afternoon.

This past weekend was my only weekend in Kolkata, so we packed it full of Kolkata experiences - especially Saturday, which began with a 5AM boat ride on the Hooghly River and ended with the sound and light show at the Victoria Memorial. I've gotten to see a lot of the day-to-day life in Kolkata these past two weeks (commuting with Kari through much of the city) but had not seen many of the tourist things up until this point. Check out my photos from the day here.

With only 2 days left in India, I have hopes to spend a little more time with the girls in the home and to visit another program working on transitioning women out of prostitution by training them in textiles. Then, it's on to Bangkok, Thailand for a 16 hr layover and then to LA.

It's incredible to me that this trip is ending. It's been an eye-opening ride.

No comments: