Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Settling in in Amman

Because Margie is working these next two weeks, my days here are mostly my own... well, sort of. One of Margie's friends (Amy) is leaving Jordan next week and so has planned a week full of sight-seeing (things she wants to do one more time). This is incredibly convenient for me, so I'm tagging along for all of it.

Yesterday we met Margie for Iraqi shawarma at a restaurant near her work. It's official - I really love middle eastern food. Then, my new friends (Amy and friend Nate) and I ventured out to King Hussein park to walk around and try to find what signs called the "Islamic Village" and the "Cultural Village". The cultural village ended up being a bit of a promenade with mosaics and other art pieces commemorating important artifacts and events in Jordan's history. A fun little history lesson in a picturesque location.

The view of Amman from the park


A mosaic of King Hussein next to a sculpture (of sorts) depicting important places in the Holy Land


After the park, I met up with Margie to go running, then we ended our evening with a game of Settlers of Catan in a local cafe. Margie ALWAYS wins.



After a lazy morning, I'm headed out with Amy and Nate for some food, ice cream, and souvenir shopping in downtown Amman. Then, I think tonight is Jazz Night for the ladies of this apartment. It's a good life.

1 comment:

M. said...

Bottom picture. Your face - awesome.